Thursday, August 7, 2008

A "Titus 2" Woman


I recently came across a wonderful gathering called "At the Well." You may have noticed my new button in the sidebar. Chelsey at http://joyfullyliving.blogspot.com/ is the visionary who has gathered Christian woman together, with the purpose of inspiring each other to dig a little deeper into Titus 2. It's supposed to be on Mondays, but I be posting a few on off days until I catch up with the group.

I am really excited to participate in my first virtual Bible study! So here goes....

"What does being a Titus 2 woman mean to you?"

Titus 2:3-5 says,

"Likewise, teach the older women to be reverent in the way they live, not to be slanderers or addicted to much wine, but to teach what is good.
Then they can train the younger women
to love their husbands and children,
to be self-controlled and pure,
to be busy at home,
to be kind,
and to be subject to their husbands,
so that no one will malign the word of God."

To be a Titus 2 woman, is to be the kind of wife and mother God intends for me to be. It is not something I will ever accomplish (much to the chagrin of my list-driven Type A personality), but it is something I will aspire to the rest of my life.

The word that stood out the most to me was self-controlled. (Another version uses discreet, meaning to show discernment or good judgment in conduct.)

The world is continually tempting me, even challenging me to DO MORE. It's the "have it all" mentality. I can have it all: a satisfied husband, well-behaved children, perfectly kept house, ample playdates, a stay-at-home business on the side, amazing meals, quality interaction with other moms, and it doesn't stop there.

If I am involved in a church (which I am), I can also add in a Bible study, outreach ministry, MOPS, leadership positions and multiple weekly services. Tired yet?

For me, self-control means not attempting to do it all. Prioritizing. Discerning the voices. Controlling my SELF - the one who allows the commendable things to have too much say, thereby weighing myself (and my family) down. Allowing God to prune and only involve myself in the activities He directs me to turn my attention to.

Near the beginning of this year, God specifially asked me to put my family first. My husband. And my children. Which practically interprets to their needs (meaning the house, laundry, groceries, and my time).

My kids are young and I felt God really encouraged me (through my husband) that this was just a Season. And as with all seasons, it will end someday.

Sometimes I do feel like I get more fulfillment by ministering, being social, volunteering and staying busy with admirable things. But then I don't always have the energy "to love my husband" and "to be subject to him" do I? Or sometimes to even "be kind."

This is why I am excited to dive into Titus 2 alongside the other godly women At the Well. I know they will inspire me and help me stay focused on what God has spoken to my heart.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

So glad you are joining us At the Well! I think it is great that you have gone back and posted. These are some wonderful thoughts!!!

I've also added you to the main Titus 2 blogroll page and will be updating the descriptions page hopefully by the end of the week! :)

Thanks for joining us at the Well! :)